[rollei_list] Re: OT: Minox/Leica

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:50:44 +0200

Thanks for all the advice.

Just in case it wasn't clear, it's not my wife looking for the camera,
it's a friend's wife.

There are basically no brick and mortar stores left. The two that are
left here in town offer only digital, and bottom barrel P&S film. She
specifically told me she didn't want a cheap P&S (and as nice as the
Mju is, I used to recommend them to customers when I worked in a Kodak
shop, I think it's not what she had in mind). Her Minox has served her
well for 20 years, and I understnad she wants something that will offer
the same quality, or better. Not a disposable/plasticky style
statement.

She want's a film camera, not digital. She want's a rangefinder. She's
used to doing things manually, and simply, but I think is not adverse
to learning a bit more. The GT uses a match needle and a distance scale
focus ring (no focus in viewfinder). The GT is not auto exposure, but I
think it's aperture priority exposure. I think learning to use
aperture/shutter (with LED or match needle) would work ok, but will
have to ask her. I would think she would want a built in light meter,
preferably one that can be linked to exposure.

I don't think that a new camera has to be as tiny as the Minox. I
jokingly said she could buy my Nikon (FM2 with cheapo Sigma 28-210
zoom) that I had brought along (taking pictures of their kids playing
with our kids) and she asked if I meant it. So I don't think a
rangefinder Leica, or smaller Rollei or Contax would be too big. A
bulky all-auto SLR probably would be too big, however. She doesn't need
several lenses (or even interchangable lenses, although I think that
would be a plus in her mind, for the future). The Minox has a 35mm, so
I think anything between 35 - 50mm would suit her.

Thanks for the Minox info - I'll let her know where to get it repaired.
In the meantime, I'll look into the various suggestions (Rollei 35,
Contax T/G, Leica M, maybe Nikon 35)

Thor