[rollei_list] Re: OT - Marijuana (was: Cost of LF (was: Aust...

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:42:23 -0400

On Thursday, April 21, 2005, at 09:22  AM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:

>> Henry Ford demonstrated that cars can be made of, and run on, hemp.
>
> Marijuana ... ?

No, not the same thing.  Industrial hemp, which is grown for fiber and
oil in many countries, is not the same plant.  Industrial hemp has
almost no THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, and you can't get
high from smoking it.  You can find hemp growing wild in many parts of
the USA as leftovers from when it used to be grown commercially. I saw
lots of it growing on the borders of cornfields in Iowa when I drove
through there once.   It is much more practical to make paper from hemp
than from wood.  Trees take years to get big enough to harvest.  Hemp
can be harvested every year.  Hempseed oil has many uses, not the least
of which would be as fuel for diesel engines.

Bob