[rollei_list] Re: OT: Kodak's Original Digital Camera

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 16:39:47 -0500

At 04:14 PM 5/2/2008 -0700, John Jensen wrote:
Here's a worthwhile read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/technology/02kodak.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

The line "....that's cute - but don't tell anyone about it." is priceless.

John

This is probably a true story, and at least one example of the old wife's tale that says "Well, the automobile companies have engine designs that will get 200 miles per gallon, but they don't release them because of pressure from the oil companies", and there are many similar myths around. I don't think this story is a myth.

I have spent quite a lot of time back at Kodak on projects we did for them at Cubic, and became good friends with several of their engineers and scientists. I do believe that, under the conditions that existed at the time of the story referenced above, Kodak would indeed hide or delay anything that prevented them from being the biggest re-seller of silver in the world, at a nice profit.

DAW