[rollei_list] Re: OT: Howard McNear

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 22:15:17 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Sadowski" <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 9:27 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Howard McNear

Character actors on Fibber McGee and Molly? You'd have to start with
Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve, played by Harold Peary.

Gildy became so popular that he got his own spin-off show (maybe the first ever) in 1941. There were even a few Gildersleeve movies during
the war.

This lasted through the mid-50s, although at some point Peary left in a contract dispute. The network hired someone else who sounded just
like him.

Besides doing commercials for Red Goose shoes, in later years Hal Peary (as he was later kown) had a dramatic part on Perry Mason, where
he played the murderer in one episode.

Harold Peary left because he thought he could get a better deal from CBS. After Jack Benny jumped ship a number of other NBC headliners followed. It turned out that Kraft Foods was happy with NBC and did not want to move the show. So, Hal Peary got a good contract but no program. NBC and Kraft hired Willard Waterman to do the part. Waterman was a very well known west coast actor with similar vocal characteristics so he did a good enough job immitating Peary. However the show was never the same after. Peary did a show on CBS called Honest Harold but I don't remember ever hearing it. It does not seem to have been successful. Peary's giggling laugh was his trademark, Waterman was not allowed to do it. Willard Waterman did a lot of Whistler shows. BTW, Harold Peary was trained as a classical singer. He never really sings as Gildy but there are a couple of places where he does. There is some biography on him at Wikipedia of you look for Great Gildersleeve. The CBS raid on NBC got CBS some headliners but the coming of television damped it. TV, for the most part, generated its own stars. Some radio personalities did extremely well, like Milton Berl and Red Skelton, but they never were quite so popular on radio. Many of the top radio commedians did not do well. While a sort of version of I Love Lucy was on radio, as My Favorite Husband, it was not very popular and certainly not the phemonon ILL was on TV. I have been told by people who were there that NBC pretty much conceded to Jack Benny everything he asked for. One exception was some sort of tax dodge that NBC's attorneys said was probably illegal. That turned out to be the case. I think the real reason Benny went to CBS was the amount of bad blood accumulated during and before the negotiations. I think there is a great deal more to this, including American Tobacco's interests and history but I have few details. I am off to the mighty TV factory in a few minutes so more anon.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA