[rollei_list] Re: OT: Bristol Wrenches

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:48:05 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:57 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Bristol Wrenches

At 02:53 AM 7/29/2010, Richard wrote, in part:
Anyone who wants Bristol wrenches can get them from the original manufacturer and Xcelite makes a set of screwdriver style Bristol wrenches. I got my Bristol keys from Max Gain (do a Google search) and the Xcelite set from Test Equipment Depot (again a Google search will find them). The keys are cheap, the Xcelite set not so cheap. The reason for the exotic tools is that I am working on a Collins receiver and Collins was fond of Bristol screws. There are at least a dozen different odd screw caps these days. Most intended for use with power equipment. I think the reason Collins chose Bristol is because they are a lot less likely than Allen heads to be damaged by camming of the wrench. All too often one finds Allen set screws where the corners of the socket are so badly damaged that the screw
has to be removed with an EZout.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

I surely agree with you about Allen and also Phillips. I have often had to grind or file them down to restore them to duty. It's interesting how most folks choose a smaller-than-required Phillips screw driver and thus damage the driver and the screw. (I must be
one of them).

Also, I have forgotten the name, but what drive is similar to
Phillips but a bit better, less camming, etc.?

DAW

The most common type is the Pozidrive. These look like Philips but are shaped a bit differently with larger flat surfaces. The Pozidrive was designed to eliminate caming and allow the use of power operated screwdrivers in production settings where air or electrically operated tools are common. There are other cross-slot types such as Reed and Prince but they have not become as well accepted as Pozidrive. One problem is that while a plain Philips will work on a Pozidrive screw it doesn't grip it very well. The right size Philips screw driver will look too big so people often use one that is too small. The right one will fit the slot completely and have no play. There are other types of socket head screws than Allen and Bristol, star and other spline types are fairly common although I think Allen heads are far more common than any of them. Torx heads are a kind of socket head and are now common for screws and bolts but I think not for set screws. I have also found that German cameras have straight slot screws with much narrower slots than common screws. One must grind the screwdriver tip to work them. Smaller size drivers that have thin enough tips will be too narrow to grip the slot properly and will damage the screw. I think similar screws are found in clocks and watches but common "jeweller's" screwdrivers are too thick for them.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA