[rollei_list] OT: Avus Aventures - Rollex 6x9 back

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:17:54 -0400

Question:
I just took the first Ektar 100 out of my Rollex 6x9 back for the Voigtlander Avus. I realized that given how the film has to be wound over the pressure plate with the numbers showing in the little red slide window on the outside, the film ends up being wound the opposite way from the Rollei, with cover paper on the inside, thus the endpaper is inverted. Is this something that will confuse the lab?
I will definitely scan and post any good results on my Flickr page.

Needless to say the Avus is cumbersome to use, but the whole process of changing viewing hood against rollfilm back, pulling darklides, switching the Compur shutter from open T to working speed etc. etc. and looking at the upside down image under a black cloth on a tripod is addictive. I cranked out the double extension bellows close to its maximum for some close-ups of garden flowers and vegetables at 10 inches from the lens, so forget about the little periscope viewfinder or the sportsfinder frames. This is definitely dedicated photography, not casual shooting on family trips that's still possible with a Rolleiflex.

The groundglass is very dim and I have e-mailed Bill Maxwell for a brighter solution. He called back immediately, but I am afraid his custom-made bright screens will cost three times the value of the camera plus backs... I better wait until I know everything works and the uncoated 3.5/13,5 cm Tessar is a good performer. I do need a 42mm slide on lens hood and yellow or orange filter.

Can't wait to use the full 9x12cm with the only available film in that format (Efke 100), so I got a Nikor 4x5 steel tank that also seems daunting to use but is in excellent condition. Now shooting chromes with this thing would be fun.... Will keep you posted. Jan ---