[rollei_list] Not quite a misnomer

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:03:56 -0400

I've been thinking about the current thread, "Going over to the darkside."

As a devotee of film, black and white, and the darkroom, I know what is meant by that expression. It doesn't fully satisfy me, though.

Maybe we could work on coining an expression that fits the new medium.

Some reflections follow: Working with images in Photoshop is working with beamed light. The inkjet prints we make lay the images on the paper. There is nothing in the paper to compare with silver, which gives black and white prints a unique glow. Inkjet prints are like posters, that is, ink laid on paper. The whites come from the paper.

Having said all that, I confess I make digital prints. I like the control Photoshop affords. I like being able to do my own color prints, but I still use the darkroom. I enjoy film cameras more than digital ones.

The worst thing about digital is that it costs so much more to do.

I use a Leica M8. I don't like the complexities of other brands. Simple is good. Intuitive is good. Lugging the manual around is bad.

Saying that, I can't go so far to say that going digital is "going to the bad side." It's a mixed bag. There is good and bad, light and dark.

The real question is whether I can make nice prints and that's true of film for me and for digital.

Great prints are what we want.

Top of the day to all of you--Doug