[rollei_list] Re: Nikon Coolscan 9000 Information Quest

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:45:12 +0100

Frederic,

I have a Minolta Scan Multi Pro. I have recently bought a 'Scanhancer'
(see: http://www.scanhancer.com ) for use with the Minolta scanner but
have really not tried it yet. It is suggested in the Scanhancer
instructions that colour neg is scanned as transparency and an
adjustment for the colour mask be made and then the image inverted. I
tried this method with a B&W neg (but with no colour mask adjustment).
The results are considerably better than scanning as a B&W neg. When
done as a neg, the highlights are completely 'burnt-out'. As a
transparency the the highlights (the dark area of the negative) are
recorded with detail, I then adjust the exposure and contrast to balance
the histogram, invert the image and I have detail in highlights and
shadows. However, there is a lot of lost detail at either end on the
negative which could be shown by dodging and burning in a darkroom. The
only other way to do this with a scanner would be to produce three (or
more) scans at differing exposures and use the HDR facility in Photoshop
or a program like Photomatix Pro from www.hdrsoft.com to amalgamate the
detail i.e. similar to using it with camera raw files.

I will send you a PDF of my 'experiment' with Photomatix off-list.

John