[rollei_list] Re: New charger for Rolleiflex 6000 cameras

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 11:44:22 -0500

At 10:28 AM 4/6/2017, you wrote:

I don't really now, I suppose they should be similar in (voltage and) current. When the cells are wired in series, the cell with the highest resistance (lowest current) determines the current in mA of the whole battery pack [?].

Ferdi.

Not precisely but in some way. As the series batteries are discharged, near the end of their charge, one battery will eventually provide ~0 (or low) volts and the pack voltage will be less by ~value of a cell. Conversely, when charging the "weaker" cell will reach full charge first and might be over-charged, maybe damaged. I really don't think either issue affects camera batteries which are carefully used.

I have observed an electric-powered model plane, one with ducted fan propulsion, which flew at 150 mph, land with batteries so hot that they couldn't be touched by hand and had to be immediately removed from the plane to cool and to prevent damage to the plane. This was a demo in San Diego by a pilot on tour from Germany. He didn't seem to be concerned with battery matching.

One interesting thing is that the trend now in electric airplane models is the use of "pulse charging" to get full charge. I haven't found the reason, even though a friend gave me an exotic pulse charger (>$150 cost) which he had won in a raffle because he already owned one. I don't fly models and it's still packed after moving here 10 years ago. I do have some rechargeable camera and shop equipment but the batteries are all individual removable cells. I intensely dislike battery powered anything, other than cameras and flashlights.

DAW