[rollei_list] Re: More images

  • From: slobodan dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:24:33 -0700

Thanks, Aaron!
This was Xmas eve on the picket line.
You've hit the nail on the head relatively accurately. I've shot the lockout for the unions and publications. I kept telling them they needed better shots than just angry workers with fists in the air. But most communications people and editors are just, well morons, when it comes to any pedagogic subtext that a simple image can have. Initially, the UFCW thought the series too 'soft'. Now they have four 20x24 prints in the international presidents office in DC.

s.d.

On Aug 10, 2007, at 5:46 AM, Aaron Reece wrote:

I really enjoyed these photos. The combined effects of using color film and the 50mm wide open was an arresting departure from the by- now hopelessly hackneyed ultra-sharp, ultra-grainy, B&W photo of labor demonstrators. Whereas to me the more "traditional" PJ-style seems exploitative in its reinforcement of the middle-class stereotype of union workers, Slobodan's technique admirably underlined their individual and essential humanity.

-Aaron

On Aug 9, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Peter K. wrote:

Well, to each his own. I do not.

On 8/9/07, slobodan dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The intent was to get deep inside their comfort zone. And, to see
what the 50mm "lux could do wide open. I liked the effect. I've since
gone on to an 80mm f1.8, but no shots yet with that lens.

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org