[rollei_list] Message from my chum Bob re. Rollei 3003

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:39:52 -0400

Hi all,

 From my chum Bob Betz in Tampa, Florida, I got this message re. the
Rollei 3003, which I thought I would pass along. My comments are
interspersed:

On Sunday, April 3, 2005, at 12:26  PM, Bob Betz wrote:

> Guys and friends of the camera obscura: This is fine (the below [i.e.,
> the Rollei 3003 - Ardeshir]) but a camera is ONLY a camera you know.
> Now, I don't know what the Rollei costs (nor wish to know) but I'll
> bet it comes with a 200 pg. coupon book. And it's only reason for
> acquisition is so you can tell your friends you got one, right (being
> puffed with YOUR affluence and knowing that "they" don't have one.)
>
> Face it, what can this thing do except give you "bulb" and open
> shutter for night shots while it wobbles on your tripod and you
> nervously push the cable release?

GOOOD point. I MUST invest in a firmer tripod.

> This is not to say I do not covet the owners [you mean ENVY the
> owners, don't you, Bob?], even though they have bought a name rather
> than a performing device that can better your better Jappon things
> with their auto exposure/zone focusing and seamless zoom features.
>
> Though, true, I hunger for the finer things in life, I'll spend my
> dough on good cuts of red meat and imported lager and try to content
> myself.

"Finer things"- for eating, anyways - have got to include (1) sea
urchin roe, (2) caviar, (3) swallow's nests, (4) foie gras, (5) fresh
truffles from Alba, Italy, (6) shark fins, and (7) freshly "hunted"
matsutake mushrooms in the fall in Japan.

And for drinking, at the very least one must have ice wine from Canada,
for after the meal.

> But enough...only to make this comment: I see at my local drugstore
> that Kodak has two (2) one-use BLACK AND WHITE throw-away cameras with
> a touted 40 foot flash. BUT can you see, after shooting a roll of the
> B&W 400 speed film, dropping it off at the drugstore and asking for
> one-hour developing? Can you hear the horse laugh you'd get as you
> were kicked out the door?

Actually, I LIKE those throwaway cameras from the drug store. I keep
one in the car for those times when an opportunity presents itself and
I've left both my Rolleiflexes at home. (I would NOT like to leave
either one of THOSE in the car!)

> Kodak has made each and all possible mistakes in their marketing. And
> they wonder why they are going down the tubes. They outsource camera
> production to China.... that's okay. But then they bring out a digital
> camera line that requires a $95.00 "stand" to put it on, which drives
> the price up a bill in price...is that a wise move? Canon has a very
> good 3.2 digital with 3x zoom ...for $99.00 now. Would you choose a
> Kodak with a "stand" sold separately over the Canon if you were a
> first-time purchaser of a digital? Don't think so.

Yes, true.

> Well, see you later. Think I'll go over and get me couple them one-use
> b&w Kodaks with the mailers for developing somewhere in Newark or
> Shangri-La or.....
>
> Yes, I must have one of those....Hasselblad can kiss ass !

So can my Speed Graphic. In fact it can kick the Hassy's ass too!

Why they don't make Speed Graphics any more, in fact, is beyond my
understanding.

Cheers.