[rollei_list] Macs and PC's and Personal Animus

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:31:14 -0400

I am 56. My first exposure to computers were mainframes -- I recall how damned glad I was when Yale upgraded to an IBM 360 which allowed keyboard and tape input and we could put the punch cards away. My own first computer was a Timex Sinclair that worked flawlessly within its limited frame. Then I moved up to a Commodore 64 and then to a couple of CPM machines. So the advent of DOS was a magnificent move forward for me. I've been all the way from an original PC clone in the middle 1980's, through a bunch of 386 and 486 machines to several Pentium I's. I know have a Pentium 4 as my primary machine as does my wife, both operating on XP Pro. Neither machine has ever had a serious hardware problem, though both have had their power supplies replaced (my wife's died when a fan went west, mine died during that tree-crash/power outage I told you folks about two months ago). That is the limit of the problems I have had with these machines. My Pentium II did lose a hard drive but all of the data was preserved -- the drive is ok for intermittent use, so the old HD is now an E Drive, and I use the machine as a backup at my Roanoke house while we are moving. (I am up there once a week or so, and this allows me 'Net access and the like.)

In other words, I have had almost no hardware problems in twenty years of using PC's -- two HD's, two monitors, and two power supplies, out of seven or nine computers over this time span. (I DID recently buy an exterrnal HD for back-up purposes, though I've not had a chance to use it due to the Movement Order imposed by my hausfrau, the uberbefehlshaber as I call her in moments of endearment. <he grins: she is of pure German stock, but speaks not a word of the German, so I can get away with a lot in speaking with her. When she gets wise, I can slip over to Russian or Latin or Ancient Greek or the Gaelic. It is convenient to be minimally multilingual.)

I have also had almost no software problems; the one I wrote the List about last week is the most serious I have ever experienced on a PC, and this seems to be an XP issue -- the Rollei d41 works quite well on my Pentium II, which is equipped with Windows 98SE. (I took care of my immediate problem while in Roanoke this past Friday and I shall run out tomorrow to see about picking up a Card Reader for CF cards, with all the caveats you folks kindly provided.)

Along the way, I have used Macs a couple of times but always felt that they were best used by the mentally feeble, the very elderly who distrust technology, and the very young who are just getting started. My co-author, Charlie Barringer, is dedicated to Macs but, then, he started on computers dead-cold around 1988, when he was pushing 50. My serious photography is going to remain chemical and analog for quite a while -- as an interim measure, the guest bathroom in the new Schloss Klein will work well as a darkroom, though my hausfrau does not yet realize yet what I have in mind. I will take a course at the local Community College on Photoshop over the winter, but that will probably not make me a vibrant digital dude. I do have an Epson 1200S Perfection scanner which works nicely for MF negatives and slides but, frankly, it does better when I scan an 8" by 10" print than when I do a negative or chrome.

From fairly detailed discussion with professional photographers on this and other Lists and side-channel, I suspect that the Mac still has a slight edge in graphics though many major houses and publications seem to have gone over to PC's simply in the interest of compatibility with the gear used by the editorial staff, the accountancy folks, and the like.

I now have to power down to upgrade my PC from 256 to 512 RAM. If my next posting has the agglomerated signature line, you'll know that I fried the Friendly Beast and am using my wife's computer for List access ....

Mac or PC is a matter of personal familiarity. I chose PC's when Mac was an absurdly expensive alternative with software aimed at the dimbulb side of the house. Were I entering the market today, I might well opt for a Mac, all things being equal -- but I had almost two decades of peripheral involvement with IBM and CPM based gear when I got my first PC, so the choice to me at that time was a clear one.

And I can assure the worried souls in our number that, yes, Windows XP WILL run Wolfenstein 3D, albeit it does not do as well on a flat-screen monitor as it does on a regular CRT.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!