[rollei_list] Re: Lens - Lumaxar

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:43:56 -0300 (ART)

Hi Peter:
           According  "The Evolution of the Japanese
camera", Condax and others NY 1984, Yashicamats never
used a German lens, the Lumaxar used for the
Yashicamat was made by Tomioka; Tomioka was the
exclusive lens supplier for Yashica from late 1949,
becoming a Yashica affiliate/subsidiary in 1968, and
named the Tomioka Optical Corporation from 1969.
Tomioka was lens provider for other cameras
manufacturers too; after the war Tomioka developed a
triplet called "Tri-Lausar" for the mass market.
Tomioka became the Kyocera Optics division on 1983
and it was in the Tomioka plant where Carl Zeiss
lenses were manufactured for Japanese cameras.
The Lumaxar is a Tessar copy and it became "Yashinon"
when Japan was allowed to export cameras to countries
where there were registered names very similar
regarding the name "Lumaxar", it seems one of the
countries with this name issue was UK.
Tomioka manufactured Japanese lenses from 1933 despite
it was cheaper to import German lenses, but  situation
changed after the war.-

All the best
Carlos

--- "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Came across something interesting. Early YashicaMats
> had a lens called
> a Lumaxar. This was allegedly a German made lens
> imported by Yashica
> to build their early TLRs. Later they made the
> Yashinon and no longer
> imported the Lumaxar. I can find very little
> information on this lens.
> It is suppose to be a Tessar-type. Of course there
> is all the BS on
> the groups that posted how good the lens is, but
> that is mostly by
> owners of the lens who compare it to nothing.
> Any information is appreciated.
>
> --
> Peter K
> Ó¿Õ¬