[rollei_list] Re: In case anyone needs to get closer

  • From: John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 18:12:01 +0000

Carlos,

I managed to find one of those adapters on Ebay. The seller did not know what
it was and so did not describe it properly - I think he called it “a Rollei
extension ring". That was to my advantage because, from the photo, I
immediately knew that it was a sl66 to QBM adapter. I bought it for £45 which I
thought was a good price. I think the list price had been about £800. Rollei
Fototechnic did have a new one at the time because I asked about some other
accessories that they still had available. I did see another of these adapters
that had been butchered to convert it to a Hasselblad to QBM adapter. The price
asked was about £800 from memory.

It is used as the extension focusing helical for the SL66 lens. The image is of
good quality because it is only the centre portion of the lens that is used. I
have also tried it on my Canon 400D using a QBM to Canon digital adapter - the
SL66 adapter is larger diameter than the thin adapter to the Canon digital and
so it was very difficult to get separated afterwards

I have found that using any QBM lenses on the Canon digital it is difficult to
focus because the screen on the Canon is not designed for manual focus.

A focus confirmation adapter is not technically possible for QBM to Canon
digital because of the position of the QBM stop down pin. I have thought about
buying a focus confirmation chip and  trying to fit it to the adapter by
rotating the lens position. This is still in my ‘project requiring further
thought’ folder! I did see a QBM to Canon adapter advertised with focus
confirmation but the photograph did not look as if it was a QBM fitting. I did
a quick search and did not find one made in China but someone may be producing
one now.

John