[rollei_list] Re: If Capa had digital

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:35:01 -0400

> Hi Austin,
>
> Everything you mentioned regarding film vs. digital is true more or less. I
> don't know how common it is to simply write over previously made images, but
> I'll take your word for it.
>
> But I find it true and difficult for Rolleiflex users to accept the fact that
> one can not avoid digital photography.
> If one is seriously involved and provides photography for a client or
> organization one must almost certainly employ digital photography or get left
> behind. Sacrocanct as the qualities of Schneider and Zeiss once were, today
> they are almost irrelevant.

Shooting film and having them scanned is not such a bad compromise if it
means being able to still use my twin lens Rolleiflex camera every once in a
while..
You can get places who can make nice sized scans and put them all on a CD
when they run your C41 film for you. Adds twenty buck to it.  Those scans
can be just fine for the internet, small prints and most things. Sticking
that CD into your computer and putting them with all the rest of your
captured files takes a minute and then you can pretend you shot it digitally
in the first place in no time.. Just don't start looking for metadata
telling you what f stop you used.

Mark William Rabiner