[rollei_list] I have been away for a while…

  • From: Sven Keller <nc-kellersv2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:47:42 +0100 (CET)

Hello List Members,

Back around the year two thousand, I have been a proud member of this list, I
was just forty and my family was growing, and so was my Rollei collection. I
remember discussions about film flatness issues on different Rolleis, 5 vs. 6
element Planar comparisons, outbursts of political flame wars whenever there was
an opportunity, or over some breathtakingly provocative signature lines…
I certainly learned a lot from Richard Knoppow, Jerry Lehrer, Marc Small,
Emmanuel Bigler, Ferdi Stutterheim, Bob Shell, Slobodan Dimitrov, Siu Fai, <add
your name here>, to name but a few.

Then came the digital age and I have to admit I sold a number of my Rollei and
Pentax cameras and lenses to fund new 3, 4 and 6 Megapixel cameras, that are all
obsolete now…
I now use a Canon 5DII as one of my regular cameras, I have however never
stopped using film, I still have a couple of Rollei TLRs, a SLX with 3,5/60
Distagon and a SL 2000 F. Since there are so few labs left that do decent work
direct from film, I meanwhile have the film developed only, I scan myself and
then send off the digital files to a internet lab – or I print myself.

I have also come to make some DIY cameras, which you can can read about here, if
you are interested: http://www.meinezersaegtenkameras.de/Ehome.html
<http://www.meinezersaegtenkameras.de/Ehome.html> .
I am currently planning to make a stereo camera based on two Rolleicords,
mounted close to each other. But maybe this will never actually happen because
of the various obstacles – how, for instance, am I supposed to get the film
transport working from one side only (i.e. from the transport knob to the
take-up spool of the right camera and further to the left camera)?

It is nice to hear from you again, and I don’t mind the Rollei list doesn’t fill
my inbox as fast as it did ten years ago…

Regards,

Sven Keller