[rollei_list] Re: Grossly OT: New Haven, 1958 to 1960 and 1972 to 1974

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:35:13 -0500

Marc James Small wrote (snipped):

Well, you left out Yale University and Michael's Jewelers, both of which
might claim the crown.

I lived and worked in New Haven in the early 80s, and during this time my parent did some travel in Italy. As happens all too commonly there, while in Rome a street robber snatched my father's watch right off his wrist. This was the Omega Seamaster Automatic is brother bought for him while they were both serving in WWII... nothing really fancy but lots of sentimental value...

I happened to be in Michael's a few weeks later and was amazed that they had a like-new Omega that was virtually identical to his own. The odds of something like this happening seemed astronomical; this was before the days of the internet and finding a replacement for him seemed out of the question. Even more amazing is that they only wanted $100 for the beautiful piece and guaranteed it for some ridiculous amount of time...

My father was amazed when he saw it. Now that he is gone, I still wear the watch. It has never needed servicing and still runs flawlessly. Omegas through the 60s were good time pieces...

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List