[rollei_list] Re: FS: Crown Graphic outfit

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:58:49 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Zak" <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 8:24 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] FS: Crown Graphic outfit

Crown Graphic Special w/ top mounted RF and 135 mm f4.7 Sch. Xenar

generally excellent condition except RF out of alignment.
Some time ago I posted a procedure for adjusting the Kalart rangefinder on the Graflex site. I need to re-write it to make it clearer and add some more recent experiences. They are not difficult to adjust but are fussy. Once set up they will stay in adjustment for years. When one is out of adjustment its well to check the infinity stops to make sure the lens is in the infinity position when the rangefinder indicates it. Sometimes a small adjustment to get it right will fix the entire range. The side mounted rangefinder looks a bit crude but is actually very accurate when properly adjusted. The "Special" part of the Crown Graphic Special is the lens. Standard lenses at the time were Wollensak Optar (same as the Raptar) and Kodak Ektars. I think Graflex had discovered about then that the Optar/Raptar had problems and was looking around for a replacement. The Xenar, as Rollei people know, is an excellent lens and was adopted by Graflex for a time. Eventually, Graflex began to use "Optar" (their house brand) lenses made by Rodenstock and others. There is nothing wrong with Wollensak shutters, BTW, although they may need new springs. However, there was evidently a design error for the entire Raptar/Optar line of Tessar type standard lenses. They have excessive oblique spherical aberration (although it may be coma) and, while quite sharp in the center of the image even when wide open, have the typical smeared out looking blur at the corners even when stopped down all the way to f/32. The Zeiss Tessar and Kodak Ektar are free of this fault by f/8. Wollensak also had a problem with their Enlarging Raptar series of lenses which should be avoided. How a well respected company could have allowed this to happen is beyond me and how Graflex could have contracted to use these lenses without becoming aware of their serious shortcomings is also beyond me. BTW, other Wollensak lenses of the period are OK or even very good performers. For instance, the f/5.6 Optar used on the Super-D Graflex is probably as good as the Kodak Ektar for this camera and the Tele-Raptar and Tele-Optar lenses are very good performers. This sounds like a good rig. I hope you don't have to break it up.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx