[rollei_list] Re: Expired Film / 5.6/500 HFT or not?

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:25:24 -0600

There were numerous Kodak films that were available in both amateur and
professional versions, and some that were/are professional only.  The
difference is that amateur film was shipped out from the factory with the
expectation that there would be a time lag until used by a photographer, so
the film would reach it's "peak" later.

Professional film is shipped at its peak and is expected to be refrigerated
until used, pros being more sensitive than amateurs to such variations in
film.  Pros need consistent results.

Some would go so far as to test a new batch of film, then use filters and
development settings for the rest of the batch, going so far as to try and
get more film later of the same batch if possible.