[rollei_list] Re: Dayi 6X12cm rollback on eBay

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 17:02:51 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "dbmills" <dbmills@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2010 4:28 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Dayi 6X12cm rollback on eBay

I have one of these backs, but I don't recall offhand if it's a 6x9 or 6x12.

I have an older model. I had to work a bit on the light seals before it functioned without light leaks. That issue may have been corrected in later models.

One thing that you might want to check is whether or not this rollfilm back will work with your 4x5. My back is too large to fit in any of my springback 4x5's. A Graflock back that opens wide is needed to get the rollfilm back in place, and I have to be very careful to not scratch any plastic screens involved.

My old Calumet view camera with an opening bail is the perfect mate for the older version of this back.

For what it's worth.

Don Mills

It has to be 6x12. It uses 120 roll film so the maximum width is 6cm. It might also do 6x9 which may be what you meant to write. I can't quite make out from the photo on ebay how its made. If one roll comes off it may be possible to use it on a spring back camera. Such adaptors were available in the 1950s. If not, it will work only on a Graflok or "universal" back where the ground glass spring panel can be entirely removed. I have a Calumet C-2 roll adaptor. It was meant to fit Calumet spring backs which are different from the older Graphic back. Its thin enough to fit into a Graphic but on older backs the "ears" will interfer with its seating fully. These are 6x8cm, same aspect ratio as 4x5 and get nine frames on a roll. They also take 220 film, which was, in fact, designed for this holder.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA