[rollei_list] Day 1

  • From: Bob James <starboy0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 07:06:09 -0500

It's 6:30 a.m. on a Sunday and I've already been up for an hour walking around
the yard with my new (and first ever) Rolleiflex.  It came yesterday.

So I'm learning how to use the ground glass screen to compose and read light.
To be able to hold the scene away at arm's length gives a very informed
perspective.  I am alerted to distracting elements much more easily.  The way
things fit together (or don't) becomes more apparent.  It is easier to abstract
shapes and lines.  So I've been playing with tilts and turns and shifts and
getting a feel for composition.  I can already tell I will put much more
thought into composing.

At first I was disappointed by how dim the ground glass screen looked.  But
then I realized I was looking at a very dimly lighted scene (like duh).  Once
the sun rose, the shafts of light on the lawn jumped out in the screen.  It was
easier to read the light values and tonal variations more objectively compared
to eye level viewfinder.

Bob James

P.S.  Thanks to those who responded about the lens hood.  It just isn't fitting
but it was very cheap.  Got a Rollei one on eBay on its way.