[rollei_list] Re: CDs and reality of things

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:26:34 -0400

Don Williams wrote:

I agree with Peter with regard to commercial CDs, just based on their construction. For some reason (probably because I'm a saver, something might just come in handy some time you know) I have many AOL CD's from long ago that still read perfectly. (No, I don't use AOL, I just get CD's from them regularly) It may be that in the early days the cover plastic might have had a different coefficient of expansion, or a different chemical makeup, than the base section which holds the stamped image, but if that problem ever existed, it's surely not with us these days.

I have never had a problem with a self-burned CD-R EXCEPT in a couple of cases. I got some cheap ones from Fry's and they didn't even complete burning. I also got some cheap CD-R blanks which indeed failed right away, just after a day or so. Now I buy only brand names and don't have any problem.

My point here is to get reliable information out to people who may risk loosing images because of what they read here. As an engineer Don, I would think you understand why I am not talking about anecdotal information or manufacturer's estimates; these are both unreliable and frankly useless. The problem I reference relative to commercially burned CDs failing within months or just a few years is well documented... search the net and see for yourself. Tens or hundreds of thousands of instances. Anecdotally, I have experienced it myself and know many others who have as well. The Library of Congress is spending millions of dollars researching a reliable means of storing digital archives because nothing now exists that meets any reasonable standard of archivability by traditional library standards. Again, this is well-documented on the net.

In the past, I've provided ample links detailing this. Personally, I think it's essential that folks not take anyone's word for this but research it for themselves so that they will understand the magnitude of the risk. Or, ask your IT guy at work; if he is half worth his salt he will fill your ear full for half an hour... this is a big problem.

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List