[rollei_list] Re: "Bright Screens" (Text Question)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:25:56 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:49 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: "Bright Screens" (Text Question)

> At 12:08 PM 2/13/2008 +0000, you wrote:
>>Marc,
>>
>>I get a number of " =3D20 " character sequences in your
>>emails and have
>>done so for the last month or more (see below). I also
>>notice that P.J.
>>Nebergall has the same thing in the email he received from
>>you and left
>>attached to his recent reply. Any ideas?
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>John
>
> I get the same thing from a couple of folks.  I have an
> email program
> that will display HTML-designed images, but I have no
> understanding
> of what the " =3D20 " sequence at the end of each line
> mean.  Is this
> something to do with Apple computers, or is my system
> mis-behaving.
>

> Don Williams
> 909 Kelsi Drive
> Moore, OK 73160-0703
> 405-735-9905

     These odd character groups are QP or "quoted printable"
code. This is a means of encoding 8-bit characters, which
are beyond the range of the 7-bit text encoding which is
standard for e-mail systems. It is often used to make
possible the use of non-english characters or special
punctuation marks. The list machine can not transmit these
properly so it reproduces the original text characters of
the OP, i.e., you are seeing the code rather than the
charactes represented. QP characters all begin with the
equal sign < = > so they are easy to spot.
     HTML is another method of translating binary data via
essentially text-based systems. HTML sends the text and
attaches to it a set of coded formatting information. HTML
is not welcome on e-mail lists because it expands the size
of a message to around three times that of the text version.
The list machine used for this list has been set to permit
only standard 7-bit ASCII text.
     When sending messages to the list the QP option in the
mail sending client should be turned off. Most mail programs
have a setting for this, sometimes it says "allow quoted
printable" this should be unchecked. Some e-mail programs
have an option to "allow 8-bit" this should also be
unchecked if one is sending to english language mailing
lists.
     The mail sending machine should also be set up for
normal Western European ISO text to avoid special characters
that may require QP coding to transmit.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA