[rollei_list] Are Enlargers Obsolete?

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:46:03 -0400

Question: Are enlargers obsolete?

I was wondering whether the experts on our list have a clear answer to
this question.

My problem is this. I sometimes LIKE to see the grain in my B&W photos.
The grain is, at times, part of the aesthetics of the picture. Without
the grain the picture would not look as good - at least IMHO. But to
look good, the edges of the grains must appear SHARP in the print.

Now because of the actual size of grains in most negatives, in order to
clearly see REAL grain (as opposed to artificially-generated grain, as
for instance with the help of Photoshop), one needs to enlarge the
negative at least 30 times, and often as much as 100 times. Of course
the ENTIRE negative doesn't have to be enlarged: only a very small
portion of it. But the magnification factor is essential!

Now even the best of scanners can scan at only at 9600 dpi. Enlarge
such a scan 100 times, and you end up with a print resolution of 96
dpi, or in other words, a print in which the grain looks fuzzy rather
than sharp! And most scanners people can afford to buy scan at only
4800 dpi, which is even worse.

In the remote past, I have been able to use an enlarger to get some
really nice grainy results, that is to say photos in which the grain
was clearly visible and resulted in a pleasing aesthetic effect. But I
don't think it is possible to do that with a scanned image - or is it?

I wonder if folks have an opinion on this subject.

Cheers.