[rollei_list] Re: 500/5.6 Tele Tessar, APO and DIN 19040 part 5

  • From: bigler@xxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:59:05 +0100 (CET)

My 0,02 euro to the New Year's APO discussion

A RUG-er's favourite, just after the planar-vs-xenotar debate ;-)

The (in?)famous DIN standard that allowed some well-known manufacturers to
label 'apo' their photographic lenses is named : DIN 19040 part 5

A "refreshing" exchange between Bob Salomon and Brian Calswell :

http://www.talkaboutphotography.com/group/rec.photo.equipment.large-format/messages/104426.html

Bob S. :
 [quote]
> Now the current DIN specification assures that the lateral chromatic
> aberrations in the secondary spectrum, are reduced to a minute
> percentage (not more than o,4% of the focal length at 1:1) of the
> focal length.
 [end quote]

Brian C. :
 [quote]
Symmetry alone can achieve perfect lateral color correction at 1:1 in
a lens which is not even achromatic.  The DIN spec is nonsense, and
would not be acceptable to anyone I know in the lens design/optics
community.
 [end quote]

I have no idea whether this German DIN standard 19040 part 5 is still
in use or not, but my understanding is that it allowed Schneider to
label their famous view camera line of lenses APO-Symmar®, a series of
lenses previously called Symmar-S®

--
Emmanuel BIGLER
<bigler@xxxxxxxx>