[rodgersorgan] Re: You have a right to remain silent,

  • From: "F. Richard Burt" <effarbee.aaa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:03:18 -0500

Good Morning, Noel:

Perhaps you should ask for the sound man's musical
credentials "...to play that thing."  From your
description, he has no concept of the music being
played, and, ...as most choir directors I have known
over the last 50 years or so will tell us, ..."If
you don't know what notes to sing, mouth it, but
don't make noises that detract from what the rest
of us are singing."

I know both sides of the business:  choral expression
with natural acoustics and amplified sound.  The man
is treating the orchestra, harpsichord, etc., as if he
were recording in a padded studio.  That is not how
to reinforce the music of a choir and orchestra.  He
can only destroy what the musicians are trying to
express.

If a player could not hit the right notes at the right
time, he would not be allowed to play.  If the sound
man cannot reinforce the sound without having to
mix everything from scratch, ...which is impossible
to do (not enough ears and hands on one person), then
he cannot possibly do his part in playing the right
notes at the right time as the musician do.  He ought
not be allowed "to play."

The essence of good sound reinforcement is accomplished
with as few mics as possible, and, when it is done right,
no one will even notice that sound is being amplified,
and above all the musicians will be in control of their
sound expressively.  There are few sounds so beautiful
as a dimenuindo that slowly fades to silence at the end
of an otherwise beautiful expression of music.  Most
sound men, unfortunately, do not understand the musical
dynamics at all, and will never allow dimenuindo.

May you find grace from the Lord to endure this nonsense
until He can straighten things out in His own time.

Appreciatively,
F. Richard Burt

.
  New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com