[rodgersorgan] Re: Trouble in PR-300S land

  • From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 20:00:56 -0400

I believe the trouble is in your sentence "my MIDI control on the organ has
been set to 'Send Only'."  Your organ may operate differently than mine, but
mine has both Send and Receive, and both must be set properly before the
dang thing will work the way I want it to.  If you're on Send Only, it seems
to me that your organ will not be able to RECEIVE the MIDI sounds you
recorded on your PR300S, right?  So you have to open that door to let the
mailman deliver the package you previously ordered, right?  If it works OK
when you shut down and "reboot" it's probably because the organ and the
PR300S are reverting to default settings upon reboot, i.e., the RECEIVE door
is open, the saved sounds can get in, etc.  So...under the heading of
"Enabling or Disabling a MIDI Master Channel"  I think you should set
everything to both "Send & Rcv."

The problem may also be in your "MIDI Stop Changes" department.  This lets
you decide DURING RECORDING how stop changes will be accomplished upon
playback of the saved track.  You can choose to have stops selected, or
pistons.  If you choose stops, the PR300S will activate stops used during
recording.  If you choose the piston route, the PR300S will use whatever
piston was recorded, regardless of what stops may be set on it at the
moment.  This is important, for example, if you record using your General 3
piston set up for strings, piano, whatever, then you pop the disk into a
different organ that may have a completely different combination set on
General 3.  If you chose the piston method, the PR300S will tell the organ
to activate General 3 willy nilly and you'll get God only knows.  In
Rodgers-speak stop changes are called System Exclusive or SysEx, and piston
changes are called Piston Program Changes.  So...you have to set both Send
and Receive instructions, and I vote you set them both to "STP" meaning
stops, or try "S&P" on both for combined SysEx and Piston Program Changes.

In addition, be sure "MIDI Local Control" is set to ON, and "MIDI Sequencer
Update" is likewise set to ON.  And on the back of the PR300S, on the left
there is a switch labeled "Organ"...be sure it is set to "EXT."

Hope this helps...it works for me...yell again if you still have problems.

Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
St. Giles Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
Rodgers 835B and PR300S

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com