[rodgersorgan] Response to a member's question about the AGO Service Playing Exam

  • From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rbfurr@xxxxxxx, rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:19:07 -0500

First of all, you need to understand that I am an AAGO...but I can only
imagine that the exam must have been very easy that year.

Anyhow, I have studied the certification for this year and think that
the Service Playing Exam is quite sensible, and should be approached
with an air of enjoyment...as I do my baroque cello lessons each tuesday.

The exam  questions are logical as are the tasks - even the FAGO exam
seems more up to date and current.

I can't think of a better time than now to pursue the certification.  If
any aspect of it seems especially hard, I woudl suggest thinking of it
merely as something you have to do for church on Sunday and so your best.

Many of us play much, much better than we think we do.  Unfortunately
I'm not in that group.

And for motivation, I recall knowing an organist who would practice the
service all the way through...if he made one mistake in the postlude he
would start over again...not just the postlude, but the entire service.
  Now he's at a major church in a major city, doing a bangup job..even
seen him on nationwide TV.  Me, I'm nursing a 12 rank Möller through a
church service in a small dying railroad town in the mid-south!  It's my
punishment for working for Möller as a sales engineer, I guess.

Anyhow, the American Guild of Organists Certification was chartereed by
the New York State Board of Regents back in the late 1800's and the AGO
is one of the last true Guilds from teh old days left.  Anyone who
aspires certification follows a hallowed path.

By the way, the hardest exam next to the FAGO appears to be the
Chm...now that one I am very familiar with...having passes teh
conducting section twice, but the test papers! Chm will never appear
after my name!  And someday when I am feeling extremely non-threatened I
will tell about my experience taking the FAGO...what was I thinking?

--
noel jones, aago
athens, tennessee, usa