[rodgersorgan] Re: My two cents worth

  • From: Kzimmer0817@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:48:52 EDT

List,

I haven't read all the posts, but Jerry's does make sense to me - to some
degree.  He didn't explain his reasoning for wanting the console locked with
very limited access, but his opinion does come around to acceptance of more
open access later.

I think it was my post that got this thread going.  Let me clarify my
original opinion a little:

1.  I don't think churches should just leave everything unlocked such that
just "anybody" can walk in off the street and start banging on the
instruments.
2.  I do think that, if the console is left locked, that there should be easy
access to it, and permission shouldn't be impossible to get.

With any instrument or piece of equipment that is costly and vital, you need
to know who's messing with it.  For novices, there's the temptation to pull
out all the stops and bang away - disturbing the offices.  If the overall
volume (I guess usually set internally) is not adjusted appropriately for the
number of speakers, one can blow one of them.

If I'm a fellow organist, whether or not I can hold a candle to the regular
organist, I'd still like to be able to practice on a church's instrument.  I
wouldn't think it would be asking too much of me to have to call the
organist, introduce myself, and find out what times are best for the office
people at the church.  The organist would give me a few pointers, remind me
to not change combinations, etc.  I shouldn't have to grovel.

But, I feel it's quite appropriate for churches to know who's practicing the
instument, when they're coming, and to want some degree of accountability.
For children that want to play around with the organ, there can always be
"Intro to the organ" classes in which they can actually get to play something.

It can be a memorable experience for a 6-7 year old to be able to play "The
Woodchuck"  (maybe even Jesus Loves Me) on the organ - even with the Trompete
en Chamade.

So, I guess I'm middle of the road.  Combination of safety, accountability,
access, and comraderie.

Sorry about the rambling.  We left Athens, Ga. around 8:30 yesterday morning
and arrived in Key Largo, Fl a little after midnight.  I'm a little fried.

Keith

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com