[rodgersorgan] Encourage Easy Access

  • From: Kzimmer0817@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:36:15 EDT

List,

Some of the experiences we've had with locked consoles and possessive
organists are quite interesting.  Unfortunately, these discussions online
often don't really solve anything.

I agree with those who, for security reasons, have to lock things up.  But, a
locked console doesn't have to mean no access.  I stongly feel that
permission should be fairly easy to get.

For young children with a little piano experience, it should suffice that the
organist could allow the child to play a few piano pieces on the organ at
various settings.  For those who have a little organ experience (or who are
pretty good at piano), they could be left alone at the console for a little
while before the church secretary, or somebody else, comes to get him/her.  A
friendly, but stern, intro to the organ console that includes what NOT to do
might be helpful.

Those who could be budding organists some day, who are taking organ lessons
(even if not from the organiste titulaire), or those who already can play to
some degree, should have fairly easy access.

Of course, safety and security (real, not imagined) are important.  It would
be good if AGO would start some kind of "Console Access Initiative" to
encourage organists and organ committees to make their organs more available.
 It could recommend various measures to ensure safety to the instrument while
encouraging first hand exposure to the organ.

I realize that it could be a very touch situation for some parents of a
church to try to go over the head (if there is a position that high, LOL) of
the organist to the deacons, elders, etc. to gain access to the organ.
Having a document from the AGO which seeks to refute some of the BS that
various organists try to hand back when access is requested.

Church musicians can be very selfish, childish, etc. to the point of yelling,
threatening to quit, stomping around, pouting, calling names, and simply
being insubordinate.  All that is intimidating to church members.  It can be
easier to get rid of a pastor than an organist.

Thanks,
Keith

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com