[rodgersorgan] Re: Atlanta FBC

  • From: Topa12283@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 01:30:38 EDT

Concerning the organ at First Baptist Church, Atlanta - Keith is correct - it
was a 4-manual Schantz of about 80 ranks.  The original FBC organ was a 1930
Pilcher (also 4 manual).  The original Pilcher Echo division was retained and
incorporated in the 1973 Schantz.  For some reason, the Echo was disconnected
around 1980, although it was working when I played it about 1975.  Several
years ago just before the beautiful downtown sanctuary was vacated, then
organist Philip Allen held a gala concert affair to ceremoniously "shut down"
the organ.  I was priveleged to play several solo pieces on the program, as
well as accompany a silent movie and play a commissioned work written for the
FBC orchestra and organ.  After that night, the organ was removed and placed
in storage.  The building was later demolished.  The plans are still under
way for a huge 6000 seat auditorium to be built at the new campus near I-285.
 I was involved in the initial organ design... we were going to incorporate
the Schantz into a much larger instrument similar to the 200+ rank Moller at
Calvary Church, Charlotte, NC.  Due to a series of events, Philip Allen
abruptly resigned last year, leaving the entire project up in the air.  I
don't think an official organist has been hired to replace him.  They are
still using the Rodgers 950 (voiced by me several times to accommodate the
various organists who preside over the console now).  My personal opinion
(NOT official by any means) is that the 6000 seat "dream auditorium" will
remain just that -  a dream.  After the unfortunate issues in the past few
years regarding Dr. Stanley's failed marriage, and the mysterious resignation
of various staff members, much of the membership has drifted to other
congregations including the large North Point Church, pastored by none other
than Charles Stanley's son, Andy.  The Schantz still remains in storage, but
it's future is quite uncertain.  Even if FBC builds a new place of worship,
the probability of installing a 200 rank organ is quite low.  As good as the
Schantz was, it was very neo-baroque in nature, and way too small in scale to
come anywhere close to filling a large hall.  Its spec-list was far from
ideal for a contemporary Baptist congregation.

...probably lots more than anyone really wanted to know!!!

Tom Alderman
Roswell, GA.