[roc-chat] Re: Tube type pros and cons?

  • From: John Coker <john@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:43:05 -0800

I second this suggestion. Phenolic is an excellent structural material
(light, strong, stiff and water-resistant , but can use a layer of
fiberglass for impact resistance and to cover the spiral grooves.

Paper is soft and deforms, which makes tubing ends and mating surfaces less
durable. It requires a fiberglass skin to have any durability and for
finishing, of course.

I haven't used vulcanized paper tube, "blue tube", yet, but it sounds like
an interesting product.

Fiberglass tubes are very heavy and sanding and cutting them generates
toxic dust. If weight and price are not a concern, they make good choices
since they have a smooth surface and are ready to prime as-is.

C.F. is also a good choice for tubes, as it's stiff and light-weight.
However, it's very expensive and most types still need to be covered with a
wrap of fiberglass for finishing.

John