[roc-chat] Re: Small DD altimeters...

  • From: Ed Holyoke <bicyclop@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 09:07:35 -0800

It's a way to do dual deploy out of one tube. Chute is wrapped tight in a kevlar protector and secured with a line cutter. I use the Archetype cutter after experimenting with several homemade types. It's ejected at apogee but not cut loose till low altitude. I put my avionics in the nose cone and the burrito is just aft of that. I'm able to get the largest possible chute in the smallest volume and still do DD this way.

Ed Holyoke

On 12/26/2012 8:04 AM, ENHolmberg@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 12/25/2012 7:27:30 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, bicyclop@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    Howdy Jeff,

    Most trackers do operate on ham frequencies. It's easy to get a
    technician license. The Raven altimeter uses a 110mAhr battery and
    fires Q2G2 matches reliably. They're going to draw less than 2
    amps at 4 volts.  I flew my red Formula 54 on it, */burrito
    style/*, on Saturday. I had a BigRedBee beacon in it and used my
    homemade yagi to DF it about two miles away. Those winds aloft
    were vicious. Josh flew his extended Formula 75 with one and with
    a BigRedBeeGPS. He has a Yeasu  VX-8GR with built in GPS and APRS
    packet decoding and walked straight to it. Having a handi-talkie
    to call for help isn't a bad idea when you're walking around out
in the desert.
Ed, What is /*burrito style?*/