[roc-chat] Re: Saucer launch today (Sorry Kramer it's way bigger than yours)

  • From: "Jim - TFJ" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 08:29:58 -0700

Talk about "going long".

Jim G.

From: roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Brian Barney
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 7:24 AM
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Saucer launch today (Sorry Kramer it's way bigger than
yours)

Next thing you know, they will be flying a spin stabilized football....

-Brian Barney

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 8:07 AM, <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If NASA cant get it to work....

http://aviationweek.com/blog/parachute-failure-mars-nasas-ldsd-pacific-flight-test

This is why I don't use chutes on saucers...

BTW, I forgot where I read it, but NASA is working on a very light weight
flexible asteroid interceptor using nano materials.  The program is known as
'nano orbital opportunistic divert lightweight experiment' or NOODLE. The
noodle was tested in NASA's neutral buoyancy simulator.

A NASA press release stated that the NOODLE is followed up by the 'parasitic
intercept zero zenith ablator', a large round decelerator consisting of a
gluten based disk with a lactose derived ablator, it looks like small disks of
a protein / hydrocarbon are on the lactose layer.  The 'parasitic intercept
zero zenith ablator', is better known as 'PIZZA'.

Hey wait a minute, saucer (without chute) followed by NOODLE, followed by
PIZZA....

Mike Kramer