[roc-chat] Re: Rounding Fins

  • From: Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:00:48 -0700

Yup, that's a clipped design.  I use the same shape of fins on my rockets
because it prevents ground damage during landing.

The end is clipped, like someone took a saw and cut off the tip of a
triangular-shaped fin.

Again a flat edge seems to prevent the vortices formed when air is
moving pass a rounded surface on the fin edge.  Think of little whirlwinds
forming parallel to the rocket originating at the tip of the fins.
Hopefully, that's clearer than mud.

Frankly, I'm not sure if tip vortices would be considered a type of base
drag or if the major problem is surface drag.

Richard