[roc-chat] November News

  • From: David Smith <davew6dps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 20:13:58 -0800

Okay, we don’t normally have a monthly news posting, but I am a bit behind…

*Changes to the ROC Board of Directors and Officers *

Due to having only two people run for three seats on the ROC board of
directors, and the resignation of John Van Norman, we had two vacancies on
the board. According to our by-laws, the board fills any vacancies by
appointment, with the appointees serving until the next regular election.

ROC members Andrew Wimmer and Gregg Halligan indicated they were willing to
fill these vacancies, and were appointed at the annual board meeting on
November 14.

Also, Neal Hunstein joined the board, and Kurt Gugisberg continues as a
board member. They are the two candidates who were elected to three-year
terms.

Rick Dickenson will continue as ROC President, Bryce Chanes continues as
Vice President, and Cindy Farrington continues as Treasurer. Neal Hunstein
has taken over the office of Secretary from Mike Riss, who has left the
board. John Howard has taken over as Membership Coordinator from Allen
Farrington, who is busy as LDRS35 Launch Director.

*New Wireless Launch System from Wilson FX*

ROCstock saw the first use of our new wireless launch system, purchased
from Wilson FX. It is a customized version of their normal system. Since we
have one of the larges range set-ups in the country, and some preferences
about our launch controller, we asked them to modify it to suit us.

The new system performed flawlessly! The set up and operation ran very
smoothly, and we experienced no delays due to equipment issues during one
of our busiest events of the year. We are planning for this new system to
be in service for years, and should serve us well. Our previous launch
system was in use for over 20 years, and had been refurbished twice. While
it remains functional and is available as a backup, the board decided it
was time to obtain a newer system. Your dues and flyer fees in action…

Being wireless, the new system is easier and faster to set up and take
down, compared to our older system that required long and heavy cables to
be unrolled to each bank and rolled back up at the end of the launch. Also,
the new system has eight pads per bank instead of six, which should help
increase our safe launch rate at larger launches, as well as having a third
more pads at monthly launches.

If you would personally like to try out the new system, we will be happy to
train you for the position of Launch Control Officer (LCO), since we need
volunteers for that position at every launch.

If you are interested in the Wilson FX launch system, you can get more
information at:

http://www.*wilsonfx*.com

*Using the New Online System for Membership Renewal (and Sign Up)*

Executive members may have already used the new online membership system to
renew their membership. If you haven’t, please go on and give it a try. We
are trying to provide easier and faster renewal by using an online
database. Also the system allows us to contact members easily if the need
arises. Of course, personal information is never published, sold, or shared
outside the club. If you are currently an Executive member of ROC you will
be getting a renewal reminder December first. All memberships run for the
calendar year, so everyone is up for renewal at the end of December.

If you are not currently an executive member, you can also use the new
online system to join, and if you do so before the December launch, your
membership will include that launch, and run through the end of 2016. See,
it pays to read these news posts!

Executive membership remains just $60 for 2016, and includes all members in
your household. Executive members pay only the daily $5 BLM fee, rather
than the $20 regular daily flyer fee. So you break even if you fly four
days, and are money ahead if you fly five or more days. LDRS has separate
fees, but will include a discount for ROC Executive members. You also get
to vote in ROC elections, and run for the Board.

To access the online membership system, go to the website and click the
“Join” tab.

http://www.rocstock.org/join

--
David P Smith