[roc-chat] Re: JPL Documentary screening at Caltech next Tuesday, Oct 25

  • From: Greg Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:10:45 -0700

On Oct 24, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Richard Dierking wrote:

> For those of us that can make it to JPL, it would sure be cool if the
> introduction and presentation was video streamed.   I'm bummed I can't attend
> :(
>
> Richard

A couple of quick clarifications...  The event on Tuesday night is at Caltech's
Beckman Auditorium, not JPL:

"Next week marks the 75th anniversary of a legendary event in JPL’s history –
the Halloween rocket firing in the Arroyo Seco by a group of Caltech
experimenters known as the Suicide Squad that planted the seed that would
eventually become our laboratory.

To celebrate this milestone, you, your families and friends are invited to a
special screening of the 90-minute documentary “The American Rocketeer” at 8:00
p.m. Tuesday, October 25, at Caltech’s Beckman Auditorium.  The showing is free
and open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.

The first episode of a three-part miniseries on the history of JPL, “American
Rocketeer” tells the little-known and controversial story of Frank Malina, one
of JPL’s founders and Directors.  The film was written, produced and directed
by Blaine Baggett, JPL’s director for communications and education, who created
many documentaries for public television as a national Emmy Award winning
producer before coming to JPL 12 years ago.  He will provide remarks as part of
the showing.

I hope you will all take this opportunity to learn more of the extraordinary
story of how JPL came to be."

Secondly, if you can't attend the screening, you won't have long to wait to see
it on TV on KCET:

http://www.kcet.org/shows/beginnings_of_the_space_age/

                    - Greg

Gregory A. Lyzenga  <lyzenga@xxxxxxx>           ***     (909) 621-8378
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College           *** cell(626) 808-5314
Claremont, CA 91711-5990                        *** fax (909) 621-8887
<http://tinyurl.com/LyzengaPhysics>