[roc-chat] Re: Happy 50th anniversary of Alan Shepard's first spaceflight

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 13:48:42 -0700

On 5/5/2011 1:30 PM, Rick Dickinson wrote:

And I have to add, and I don't mean this in any way to be political (really, I don't), that I have little/no understanding as to why today had to be the day that the president decides to lay a wreath in New York to celebrate Bin Laden's death. It couldn't have been yesterday? Tomorrow? Saturday afternoon? It had to be on the day, and almost the exact time, that we should be celebrating the 50th anniversary of American manned spaceflight?

...but I guess I shouldn't be surprised, space has not been a priority of any administration since Kennedy.

David Erbas-White

50 years ago today, Alan Shepard became the first American to fly into space, and the first person in history to do so while in control of his own spacecraft.

(Seemed like a more important anniversary to celebrate today than some minor victory by Mexico over the French.)