[roc-chat] Re: Generator etiquette

  • From: Mike & Nancy Kramer <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:23:18 -0700

I thought that RV's were not allowed on the front row at all?

On 4/28/2011 5:17 PM, Tom Hanan wrote:

Great Suggestion Rick.

Possible additions:

1)Limit generator operation to west side to prevent the random proliferation of generator use among those who want to hear the sounds of the rockets.

2)Limit RV generator operation after 10pm to the front row of west side so that the larger RVs in the front row can act as a natural sound barrier toward the west. This makes a much larger difference than you might think.

3)Limit standalone (movable) generator use on the west side to the area between RVs. It ruins the whole deal if standalone generator users, who can't stand the sound of their own generators, place them out on the road where everyone else on the west and east sides are forced to listen to them.

These are all just comon curtesy considerations that should have minimal impact on peoples ability to enjoy the events! A simple sign posting the rules and a few simple reminders should be all that is necissary to get the vast majority of people to wilingly comply. But there will always be a few that need additional help with their compassion towards others. Those "special" people will likely get to talk to the profesionals that frequent these events!

*Tom Hanan*

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:23:39 -0700
From: Rick Dickinson <rtd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

These are all good suggestions, and I'll be talking the issue over with
the rest of the ROC board to see if we can come up with a good solution
that won't be too draconian. We are holding the launch in June, which
means that a lot of people are going to want to run their RV air
conditioners, possibly all night, depending on what the nighttime
temperatures are like. And, AC means generators.

ROC actually looked into the idea of renting a large generator, and
selling "connection rights" to attendees 4 years ago, when we held LDRS
26 in Jean, NV. It turned out to be quite a bit more expensive than we
originally thought, and would also have proved to be a huge logistical
(and liability) headache, in terms of placing it far enough away to be
unobtrusive, yet close enough to make power distribution possible
without an electrician's nightmare of extension cords, etc.. Running
regular extension cords makes sense for a personal camp site or two, but
if you're supplying power for others as a paid service, you really have
to do things "up to code" to avoid any potential safety issues (e.g.:
running distribution wires overhead on poles or in buried conduits to
avoid tripping or shock hazards).

We've considered rules like "no generators at night in the front row"
in the past, but ran into the problem that we generally run a generator
to charge up the radio and launch system batteries in the ROC trailer
overnight, and Jack usually runs a generator to supply power to the
What's Up Hobbies trailer, as well. Also, due to the fact that people
arrive on-site over a wide time frame, it would be tough to enforce any
sort of parking area restriction based on generator usage, or even
direct people to the appropriate areas as they arrive.

I'm open to suggestions, here. I'd love to have a good solution, but
the practical problems keep rearing their ugly heads.

Thanks,

- Rick Dickinson
ROC President