[roc-chat] Re: Contest idea

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ROC-Chat <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 19:33:14 -0700

Yesterday the students I'm helping launched their scratch built dual deploy "I"
powered rocket. Total cost excluding Perfect Flight but including propellant
reload, airframe, fins, motor mount, nose cone, chutes less than $20 and could
have been less if that was the goal. Motor eject could have been used.

Rick

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:12:14 -0700
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Contest idea
From: wk6i.jeff@xxxxxxxxx
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bringing it back... there is an auto racing circuit I kinda follow called "The
24 Hours of LeMons". The idea is you can only spend $500 total on the car and
you have to race it 24 hours - so you have to trade off speed vs endurance.
And, the onus is on the entrant to prove the vehicle is within budget, and the
decision of the judges is final. Kind of a crazy insane endurance race.

Now for the rockets, consider that the budget is $20 including motors and all
recovery devices, and you must fly it 3 times - say once for altitude, once for
duration, once for spot landing. You choose your motors based on what you think
it can take for 3 flights, vs the performance needed to be the highest etc.

This would not be the easiest thing to administer, but it sure would be fun. - j

            On Aug 11, 2012 11:21 PM, "Rick Maschek" <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

If you have a Walmart that carries fabric, they sell clear plastic by the yard
on these stiff cardboard tubes on a rack that they through away when the last
of the plastic is sold. I've been using them for 38mm motor mounts and minimum
diameter 38mm rockets for years, they are a perfect fit. They use two different
tubes, one is thin and flimsy (I don't use those) and the other is the good
ones. We even would sometimes buy fabric with cool patterns and wrap the tube
(imagine fiberglassing the airframe). Legths are about 4 feet, price? Free.

Rick

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Payton Kramer <payton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was just using walmart as an example, but the idea was to make everyone use
the same store (you know what i mean), but i kinda like your judging ideas.

On 8/11/2012 6:36 PM, Norbert Soski wrote:

  Sounds like a fun idea.  Have separate awards for adults and children.  Have
separate categories for over and under (let's say) $25.  Judged for "Best
  or most use of non-Rocket material," "Creative," and "Altitude."  But it
could be from any retail store, not just Walmart.  Any motor sise limit?

Norbert

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff@xxxxxxxxx