[roc-chat] BLM Permit Status

  • From: Allen Farrington <allen.farrington@xxxxxx>
  • To: Rocketry Organization of California <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:23:32 -0700

There's not really much new on the BLM front, but here's the latest.

The Application Permit was submitted and they signed for it today. I have
called my contact at BLM and he has not yet called back as Mondays and Fridays
are very busy for them. I will update the chat as soon as I know anything
further, but that could be a while since they technically have 30 days to
respond to our application.

While I know that many of you are anxious to know what's next, I want to
caution you all to please refrain from contacting BLM. We've already had a
reporter stick their nose in this and while there's been no fallout, I want to
be a "good supplicant", if you know what I mean.

In the meantime, I want to encourage everyone to visit our regional sister
clubs like DART, Tripoli San Diego, Tripoli Central California, FAR, and even
Tripoli Vegas. They have all graciously invited us to attend their launches. I
know from my own experience that launches with other clubs can be great fun. I
fly with Aeropac every year.

Secondly, ROC has a trailer cleaning coming up on May 5th and that's a great
time to socialize with other ROC members and to give back to the club.

Finally, I want everyone in the club to understand how many different ways the
board tried to navigate the laws, regulations, and rules towards continuing
launches uninterrupted. Despite our best efforts, we couldn't work something
out that wouldn't put the club at risk long term. We have Terry to thank for
that. Additionally, we have to thank Richard Dierking for helping me with the
application by doing a bunch of legwork on the land issues beforehand. Next
time you see him make sure you give him a big thank you.

Allen

Sent from my iPad