[roc-chat] Re: Archetype line cutter

  • From: Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:37:50 -0800 (PST)

Interesting that the folks on TRF are encouraging me to build my Formula 98 as
a traditional DD and not a nose cone based DD using the cable cutter (motor
ejects the laundry, the cable cutter lets it loose). I love those guys, but I
think I'll not do so.

Using PEM nuts and screws I can build the Formula 98 with a straight through
tube (literally screwing together the fin can and the payload sections using
the supplied coupler that would normally be the altimeter bay). I can mount the
altimeter in the nose coupler and have a single (or dual wires) going to one
(or two for redundancy) cutters. The motor does the apogee honors. The cutters
the low alt. I don't give a hoot that the screws might stick out a
little...ever see a REAL rocket... smooth they ain't. ;)

If that makes any sense... :)

And nothing stops me from using the supplied bulkheads and some all-thread in
the future and making the central coupler a tradition altimeter bay. I'm with
you. I like the cutters.

Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo:
indanapt
"(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for
asking questions about reality." -- Doctor Steven Novella