[Ring211] Fwd: FW: THE INCARNATION OF A PHANTOM

  • From: RBusPs67@xxxxxxx
  • To: ring211@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:24:55 -0500 (EST)

From Ken who I met on the Creativity at Sea cruise. Ken is a card  guy...
Roger

____________________________________
 From: kfrehm@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: kfrehm@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 1/25/2013 1:40:10  P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: FW: THE INCARNATION OF A PHANTOM

Might  be of some interest to you
Ken

From: Professor Rem  [mailto:4privet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013  10:39 AM

Subject: Fwd: THE INCARNATION OF A  PHANTOM

Begin forwarded message:

From:  Mel <_m.kientz@bnproducts.com_ (mailto:m.kientz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) >

Date:  January 10,  2013 10:19:47 AM EST

To:  <_4privet@earthlink.net_ (mailto:4privet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) >

Subject: THE  INCARNATION OF A PHANTOM

_4privet@earthlink.net_ (mailto:4privet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

THE  INCARNATION OF A PHANTOM

by Jon  Racherbaumer

____________________________________

Photograph from The  Sphinx magazine, August 1930.
From left to right:  Cardini, Eddie McLaughlin,
Walter Scott, Tommy Downs, Al  Baker, Max Holden,
Sam Horowitz and Eddie  McGuire

Marlo  was in his mid-twenties when he read Max Holden's enthused account
in  the Sphinx magazine (July-1930). It described what would become a
historic session featuring Tommy Downs, Nate Leipzig, Cardini, Sam  Horowitz,
Eddie McLaughlin, Al Baker, Eddie “Tex” McGuire, and Walter  Scott (who was
being touted as "the cleverest man with a pack of cards  in the world!" This
was no ordinary, run-of-the-mill session. Anyone  reading Holden's account
would perk up reading this sentence: “Dai  Vernon, whom I have always admired,
and Dai, to me is the greatest with  cards, but I now have to pass the crown
to Scott!” Scott was apparent  The Man. Besides, how could you resist a man
called The Phantom of the Card  Table?

Marlo (left) read all of the  accounts and he wanted to meet The Phantom.
It finally happened sometime  around 1955-56 when Marlo traveled to New York
and stayed at Bill  Simon's home in New Jersey. Later, he took a train to
Syracuse to visit  Art Altman. During this stay, Art asked Marlo, "Would you
like to meet  Walter Scott?" Marlo of course said yes and heand Altman drove
to  Newport, Rhode Island to meet Scott at his music shop. Later, all three
retired to Scott's private home.

Marlo  remembers: "I was impressed by the tasteful, classy surroundings of
Scott's home. Everything was neat and immaculate. As for Scott, himself,  I
immediately liked him when we met in his music shop. He was gracious,
gentlemanly, and most hospitable. We made Art and I feel very  welcome...even
though our visit was unexpected and unannounced. Lesser  men would have
expressed displeasure."

There is  always an irresistible impulse to ask an expert to demonstrate
their  skills, but Marlo and Altman suppressed this urge. They remained calm
and let Scott determine the course of their time together. There was  lots
of pleasant conversation, and Scott (in gentle, courtly fashion)  talked
about his experiences with a traveling band. Being a musician of  course had
its
ups and downs, and but he was able to supplement his  income by playing
cards for money.

Needless  to say, Scott finally got around to taking out the pasteboards.
Marlo  was looking forward to this part. Being able to watch the Phantom in
action was (as they say) "icing on the cake." He especially appreciated
being able to see the Punch Deal and various glimpses in action. Scott  did
everything exceedingly well. Altman and Marlo were not only  impressed with
Scott’s Work, they were equally impressed with his manner  and deportment while
doing the Work.

His body  language was relaxed and ordinary. Everything was congruent to
his  normal body language and he seemed like a regular card player in a
down-home game: No hints of manipulation and razzle-dazzle stuff. No  tells. He
was Mister Natural. He had gray-flannel innocence. Silent but  deadly. No
wonder he bowled over the brethren at Al Baker's home in the  30s. After
several hours of working out the boards, Scott's wife  summoned them to dinner.
The dinner, alas, was excellent and Scott's  wife was a perfect hostess. After
dinner, the card session resumed.  Altman mentioned to Scott that Marlo did
the Punch Deal. Scott’s eyes  brightened. He then politely asked Marlo to
demonstrate…with one  condition. Scott wanted him to do it with HIS  deck!

Marlo replied, "I'll try...I've  never used another man's deck."

When  Marlo assumed the Punch Position, the rest went well. No hookups.
Everything "felt" good. Afterwards, Scott said: "Well, you and Charlie  Miller…
other than myself …are the only two persons who've been able to  use my
deck and do the Punch Deal!"

Needless  to say, the compliment pleased Marlo but he knew in his
heart-of-hearts  that his execution was not as expert as Scott's refined
handling.

All  sessions must come to an end, but this one was unforgettable. Marlo
had  met an accomplished and truly remarkable virtuoso. His range of
expertise was narrow but keenly focused. Nevertheless, his execution was
unerring
and spot on. Perhaps his musical background and expert  musicianship enhanced
his dexterity with the pasteboards? His sense of  "when" and "how" was
indeed a harmonious formulation and perfectly  pitched. In short, he knew how
PLAY the pasteboards, the players, and  the audience. When they parted
ways, Marlo was ecstatic. He had met a  Presence, not a Phantom. Scott turned
out to be the Real Deal. He lived  up to the superlatives many were reluctant
to believe. Marlo and Altman,  however, left Newport as True Believers.

Onward...

Story Source: _CLICK  HERE_
(https://www.facebook.com/joncards/posts/4537467227081)
Also Read Web Notes:
THE PHANTOM OF  THE CARD TABLE _CLICK  HERE_
(http://stepanov.lk.net/magic/phantom/phantom.html)

~  MAGICIAN'S  LIFE   ~
James,  do you find this information
completely  useless and want off the mailing list?
Just  send me a note to make these little emails  disappear.
Would you like to make a comment  or add someone to The List?
Email:  _m.kientz@bnproducts.com_ (mailto:m.kientz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Thursday,  January 10, 2013