[RETVET-INFO] Commissaries To Resume Normal Hours After Furlough Days End

  • From: RETVET-INFO@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <RetVet-Info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 21:02:29 -0500

Commissaries To Resume Normal Hours After Furlough Days End
By Jennifer H. Svan
Stars and Stripes
Published: August 8, 2013

KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany - The Defense Department's cancellation of remaining
furlough days will allow commissaries worldwide to resume normal hours after
Aug. 17, Defense Commissary Agency officials announced.

All stores were affected by the furlough, either closing one day a week or
operating with a reduced staff that, at some locations, caused
longer-than-normal checkout times.

The Defense Department's decision, announced Monday, to cut the number of
civilian furlough days from 11 to six will enable stores to return to their
regular schedules the week of Aug. 18 to 24, Joseph H. Jeu, DECA's director and
chief executive officer, said in a news release.

The furloughs began July 8 and were taken at the rate of one day a week. That
means the sixth and last furlough day for most of the military's grocery stores
will be Aug. 12.

Since the furloughs started, 210 commissaries, including 29 overseas, have been
shuttered one day a week.

DECA kept 37 overseas commissaries open during the shutdown by staffing stores
with local nationals, who were not subject to the unpaid furlough. Most stores
were closed Mondays during the furlough period. More than 14,000 of DECA's U.S.
civilian employees worldwide were affected by the furlough, according to DECA.

With the end of the furlough, Jeu asked that customers be patient as product
delivery schedules return to normal.

Customers at some commissaries have been frustrated by long lines and empty
shelves.

"We will do everything possible to ensure that our shelves are properly stocked
with the products our customers want when they shop," Jeu was quoted as saying
in the release. "However, there will be a short adjustment period as our stores
settle back into their pre-furlough operating and delivery routines."

svan.jennifer@xxxxxxxxxxx

-------
SOURCE:  Stars and Stripes Article at http://www.stripes.com/#top-story-tabs-2

== RETVET-INFO Mailing List ==

1.  The following options may be used to join\leave this mailing list:

    a.  ONLINE OPTION:  Online subscription\unsubscription options are
available at:

        http://www.hostmtb.org
        http://www.hostmtb.org/retvet.html
        //www.freelists.org/list/retvet.mil

    b.  E-MAIL OPTION:  Subscription\unsubscription may be performed by sending
an E-Mail message to the following address:

        (1)  To subscribe to this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to
RETVET-INFO-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' as the subject.

        (2)  To unsubscribe, send an E-Mail message to
RETVET-INFO-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' as the subject.

2.  If the above subscribe or unsubscribe procedures don't work or if you have
questions, comments, etc., about this mailing list, please contact
Milton.Bell126@xxxxxxxxx