[retroforth] RetroForth 9.0 and Reva 6.0

  • From: Charles Childers <charles.childers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 19:09:15 -0500

Hi everyone,

There were two releases to announce this week:

Ron released Reva 6.0 yesterday, with quite a few new features. A
summary of these:

Differences from the last stable release (5.1):

    - produces true binary "turnkey" applications if desired
    - over 80 additional words in core, but only 5K bigger in size
    - friendly, comprehensive help system ('help' inside Reva)
    - much faster interpreter/compiler and runtime (20-40% faster)
    - all 5.1 bugs fixed
    - single dictionary
    - word 'classes' provide great flexibility
    - true inline assembly supported (requires external FASM)
    - library has been vastly expanded
    - regular expression support via 'PCRE' ('needs string/regex')
    - GZIP support via 'zlib' ('needs util/zlib')

I've only used it briefly, but I'm quite impressed. His help system is
very nicely done, and the integrated turnkey support can be very
useful.

And today I released RetroForth 9.0, a significant jump forward since
8.2.5.  A brief summary:

This release brings a significantly revamped core, which is now
completely independent of OS-specific code. It now fully takes
advantage of word classes, and adds several new ones not present
before. Other new features include vocabularies, improved handling of
flags, and support for callbacks. The hosted ports all support command
line parameters, which now makes cgi and scripting possible. The
native port has been almost completely rewritten and is far more
stable than before. Finally, the documentation has been rewritten and
is now a solid reference to the language. Debian and Slackware
packages are also provided.

The full changelog is at http://www.retroforth.org/get/changes/900

Some quick links:

http://retroforth.org/get/900-hosted.tar.gz
(RetroForth 9.0 for Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, Generic)

http://retroforth.org/get/900-native.tar.gz
(RetroForth 9.0 for Native (standalone) use)

http://retroforth.org/get/packages
(RetroForth 9.0; Debian and Slackware packages)

http://ronware.org/reva60.zip
(Reva 6.0 for Windows, Linux)

--
Charles R. Childers