[retroforth] Re: 2005 Wishlist!

  • From: Stefan Schmiedl <s@xxxxxx>
  • To: retroforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:11:54 +0100

Hi Chris!

Chris Walton (2004-12-06 19:48):

> Addition of Colorforth style conditionals. This means
>   if ( - ) following code executed if CPU "zero flag" not set
>   -if ( - ) following code executed if CPU "sign flag" set
>   ? ( - ) examines top of stack, and sets CPU flags accordingly

A recent version introduced ?if to execute the following code
if the carry flag was set/clear, I don't remember which.
This is useful for find, as it makes checking whether a word
was found much easier, and changing the behavior of find to
return this information on the stack would have had major
consequences.

However, I'm not a friend of those "implicit" return values,
as they are a step away from the single parameter stack, where
*all* relevant data is available.

>   Here are implementations for those:
>     macro
>     : if  $74 1, here 0 1, ;
>     : -if  $79 1, here 0 1, ;
>     : ?  $c021 2, ;
>     forth

Are you aware of <>if and <if?

Maybe we want to start a colorforth compatibility library?

> The ability to turnkey! This is very useful, and shouldn't be too hard
> (although platform-dependent). I think people should be easily allowed
> to take a vanilla retroforth, load all the sources of code library
> they want, then turnkey it into their own, already set up retroforth.

save definitions to file, include file in Makefile, make, rename bin/rf
to a suitable name.

> And here's my wishlist for the code library (some of which I might do myself
> :))
>  - Block words
>  - Block editor

>  - File I/O
     already there

>  - Sockets
>  - Multitasking/threading
>  - LOGO-like graphics API (working on that :)
>
> And, my crazy wishlist:
> Maybe a colored layer on top of retroforth? I know charles has been
> considering that. I would love to see something like that done.

layer as in a preprocessor from colored source to plain source,
which would then be handled by rf?

kind regards,
s.
--
Stefan Schmiedl
|Approximity GmbH               | EDV-Beratung Schmiedl                  |