[regional_school] Teaching in the First Ring

  • From: Meg Callahan <mcallah5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regional school <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:35:40 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Regional Academy Supporters,
I want to draw your attention to a presentation coming up at Nazareth that
might be of interest to some of you. I am pasting the information below, as
well as attaching a poster. I hope some of you will be able to attend--it is a
very practical presentation by some English teachers who are sharing their work
as they strive to bring issues of race, class, and gender into the discussions
in their classrooms. They are doing this very consciously in the context of a
'first-ring suburban' school where tensions about these issues clash with the
white working-class history of the town. Given Rochester's similar "donut"
demographics, and The Regional Academy's foundations in an urban-suburban
model, I think their journeys will be quite helpful in considering how we too
can harness literacy as a way to see diversity as an asset and as a catalyst
for social action. The teachers will be sharing some of their students' work
using digital technologies as a tool for discussion and expression around these
issues.

Here's the info--hope to see some of you there! Give yourself extra time for
parking--4pm is a busy time for graduate classes here!
Meg

*****************************

Teaching in the First Ring:
Reading Between the Lines of Race,
Class, and Gender

James Cercone, University at Buffalo Graduate School of Education
Alex Baker, Cheektowaga Central High School
Joel Malley, Cheektowaga Central High School
Jonathan Federick, Cheektowaga Central High School
Kristen Pastore Capuana, Cheektowaga Central High School

Monday, April 5, 2010
4:00-5:30pm
Smyth 383

Diverse “first-ring” suburban classrooms present teachers with unique
opportunities to engage students in reading and writing activities around
issues of race, class, and gender. Four high school English teachers will
present findings from action-research projects they conducted in association
with The University at Buffalo's First-Ring Suburban Initiative. Presentations
focus on the literacy practices students from diverse backgrounds developed as
they explored meaningful cultural and social issues through the use of digital
and print literacies. Projects focus on student learning and meaning making as
they engaged in deep readings of a variety of texts and the world around them.

Meg Callahan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Director
Undergraduate Adolescence Education

Nazareth College