[regional_school] Power and Control

  • From: William Cala <wcala9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regional <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:24:28 -0500 (EST)

Dear Friends,

Power and control are the enemies of progress, collaboration, human kindness
and respect for the dignity of each individual.  Students should not be
controlled.  Students in their entirety should be embraced, nurtured and
valued.  In order to accomplish this we must respect them.  In order to respect
them we must value their beliefs, opinions and needs.  And in order to respect
them we must empower them.  Deep, rich learning comes from ensuring that
children have freedom, are empowered, have their survival needs met, are able
to celebrate their learning (have fun doing it) and most importantly are
loved.  Taking power and control seriously contradicts the facilitation of the
five principles I have mentioned (which Ellen has alluded to).  Shawgi,
Kristen, Dan, David and others have made powerful statements about the
governance of few vs. the governance by many.

Bloomberg currently is the sole control in one of the nations largest cities
with the power and control over 1.4 million students.  If he decides that
schools should be closed (irrespective of the desires of its residents) the
schools are closed.  At this very moment, 22 high schools have been ordered
closed without the input of its residents or students.  Students and parents
are up in arms.  They used to have elected boards to express their views.  It
is no longer the case.  Citizens are left with protesting outside of the
mayor's house (January 21st from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.).  All measures of
democratic input that elected school boards afford us are non-existent.  As a
result, the only remaining vestige of democracy here is protest.  This should
be the last resort, not the first.

I will repeat what I said in my initial e-mail last night.  Silence is the
enemy of democracy.  Using silence to forward our own agenda at the expense of
the greater good is no good at all (at least that's what my self-debate has
concluded).

Thanks for your rich debate.  We must not remain silent on this listserv (agree
or disagree) or when we see others being denied justice, civil rights or
dignity.

Peace,

Bill