[realmusicians] Re: So Far, So Good!

  • From: Indigo <33indigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 07:10:34 -0500

Sorry, Chris, didn't read the bit about your being too busy to play tech, so maybe others here can relieve Chris and offer teckkie advice.

Thanks,
Indigo L

On 12/3/2011 5:23 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
On xp, I'd lean toward setting a static page file rather than deleting
it just incase.

But that's just me.

If you like your os the way it's running now, then now's the time to image.

Can't give you better advice than that.

Too busy now to play tech.

Got customers who want product before Christmas 'smile'.

At 10:43 AM 12/2/2011, you wrote:
So far, inspite of 64 bit drivers installed, Windows XP Pro 32 is
running like The old Orange Blossom special with Caysey at the
throttle, and John Henry shoveling on the coal.
Everything looks close to the same as in Windows 7, like 4 cores and 4
hyperthreads are shown in Control Panel, Systems, ghz is 3.4, I looked
in System tools info trying to learn how much memory is recognized,
but couldn't find the report on that.
RealTech is behaving, WinAmp is playing through it normally.
Installation times are phenomenal!
Reaper took no more than 10 seconds to install.
So wonderful, this early time with an operating system, when it's
still virginal and un encumbered, fast as greased lightening!

I found where the mistaken 64 bit drivers went in the registry, all of
them are there together in a MSI folder.
I'm sure not gonna remove any of them until I get proper XP 32
drivers, if such exist.
So far, it acts like a normal XP, and a very happy Winize 6.1.
I love XP!
I like those precise little Germanic clicks when I press a key, and
the instantaneous response

I find only 1 little thing that's different from my other XP machines.
When I plug a USB drive in, I'm not getting the usual Microsoft dialog
about opening it.
It just says: Hardware Device Detected 125W.
I suppose it does need a USB driver it doesn't have at the moment, to
speak that dialog; but copying from USB drives to the computer are
behaving normally.
I'll try writing to USB to test it, but I'd expect writing to be normal.

One question:
Is it true that it's best to use a specialized driver removal tool, or
is it sufficient just to delete the 64 bit drivers in the registry,
once I have correct 32 bit equivalents?

Another tiny question, does setting performance to give preference to
background services matter much?
I've heard differences of opinion on that.
Some are saying that certain music programs run from services that are
nnot in the background, and don't do as well
. with that tweak.
I'll surely go and set page file to none; as DJX advises
I'm totally convinced of the value of that tweak.
.
All power plans are set to never off, and I've done most of those
other little tweaks.
The monitor image looks fine, according to Hannah, so I'm not going to
worry much about that driver.

If Reaper and ReaAccess behave themselves, and some of my power hungry
STI's play nicely, can't wait to hear Native Instruments Massive, next
I'll try Sonar 8.5.3 and give it a few CPU vampires to play; ; and
learn if it's as tempermental and prone to crash as it was on the old
slow machine.
Thanks for any info,
Indigo L

?.

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle
cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx