[real-eyes] Re: recovering files on PC

  • From: "Mitchell D. Lynn" <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:55:49 -0600

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. Hope you weren't out any funds
for the effort.

Recovering files is a bit of a crap shoot with modern operating systems.
They are constantly writing files, and the chances that files won't be
recoverable go way up in such cases. It's another good reason to keep the OS
on its own partition and data on another. At the very least, keep the swap
file away from data,. Keeping drives defragged also helps considerably.

Sometimes the lost file is worth what ever effort one has to put out to get
it back. My worst loss was a 200 page journal I kept when I was at Lion's
World in Littlerock, Arkansas back in 1992. I managed to get most--if not
all--of it back, but it was a long an tedious process. This was back in the
days of DOS, and I think I used a version of Norton Utilities for the
recovery. It took forever, and I was piecing it back together from fragments
sometimes as small as a few sentences.